The official position postings are, well, official. They are named according to what non profit organizations are required to have by law and the national SMC bylaws. Our chapter will be no different. We are getting serious. As such, this is a pretty long post with all the details of each position. This is a starting point and the activities have been gleaned from the Social Media Club and various other clubs across the nation that have set up official chapters. Feel free to send any more questions to madisonsmc (at) gmail (dot) com.
What commitment is needed to be a Madison SMC Board Member?
It means you are willing to serve as a leader in your business and related Social Media profession as well as honor the responsibilities as defined by the global Social Media Club organization. You will be present (or virtually present) for all Leadership Board meetings, be an active member of the social media community and lead by example in your online and offline behavior.
How long is the commitment?
All board members shall serve 12-month terms, but are eligible for re-election for up to five consecutive terms. Terms will run from June 1 – May 31.
What is the election process?
Board elections will be held every 12 months and requires a nomination process with the exception of the Chairman position which will be held by the outgoing President and the incoming president position which will be help by the VP or President elect from the prior year.
1. Nomination process: Any member can nominate themselves or another member by submitting name and experience to the current President (Wendy Soucie) or submitting an email with your name, qualifications, short bio and position interested in. The nomination process will be open for a minimum of two weeks or until at least one nomination is filled for each position. In order to be considered for the President role you must have participated on the Madison SMC board for a minimum of one year prior or held the VP/President Elect position in the past.
2. Voting process: Any active member will be allowed one vote for each position. The voting process will be open for a minimum of two weeks. Each board member counts for one vote and two collective votes from the membership group (popular vote). There are currently 4 board members. Active members are those who have opted into the mailing list before the nomination slate of officers is sent for voting.
What do the chair specific positions entail?
The Presiding Officer (the actual title may be President, Chair, or other as determined by the Club’s Board of Directors) shall serve as the executive officer of the Club, preside at all meetings of the membership and the Board of Directors, be an ex-officio member of all committees, exercise general supervision over Club affairs and perform such other duties as are ordinarily incumbent upon a Presiding Officer; and shall represent the Club in all relations with Social Media Club and perform a like function in their behalf in relation to the Club. The Presiding Officer shall attend all duly called District meetings or, in the case of absence for good reason, provide for the Club’s representation by an accredited representative.
1. Lead development of annual strategic plan and key performance indicators
2. Report on strategic plan progress
3. Support committee chairpersons as needed
4. Serve as primary point of contact to the National chapter
5. Represent Madison SMC to media outlets as needed or assign appropriate board member with expertise
6. Attend Madison SMC events and serve as facilitator as needed
7. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
8. Reach out to complimentary local organizations to build awareness and relationships
9. Lead executive board meetings
10. Guide, counsel and coach executive board members as needed
Vice President/Incoming President Responsibilities
The Vice Presidents (or such title as established by the Club’s board of Directors) shall perform such duties as are ordinarily incumbent upon Vice Presidents and such other duties as may be assigned to them by the Presiding Officer or Board of Directors.
1. Fulfill the responsibilities of the President in the President’s absence
2. Assist all Board members as needed.
3. Document and distribute minutes of Board meetings.
4. Help recruit committee leads and team members as needed by Board members.
5. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
6. Establish meaningful contact with local chapters elsewhere.
7. Participate in global calls and initiatives.
8. Offer writing/editing and strategy services to board members, other chapters/national.
9. Establish and manage ethics committee to provide guidance and thought leadership to membership, primarily through blog posts and various social network updates.
10. Develop catalog of local resources members can use to enhance their social media experience.
11. Support president’s agenda.
12. Serve as liaison to sister SMC organizations in the region.
13. Solicit feedback from membership relevant to areas of ownership. (All board members).
The Treasurer shall keep and maintain all records of fees, dues and monies collected and disbursed. Submit regular financial statements in the form, manner and frequency prescribed by the Board of Directors, prepare an annual statement for the annual meeting of the Club and generally perform such duties as are ordinarily incumbent upon a Treasurer.
1. The treasurer shall provide a budget report at each board meeting.
2. The treasurer shall chair the finance committee, assist in the preparation of the budget, help develop fundraising plans, manage all organizational accounting bookkeeping and make financial information available to board members and the public.
3. The treasurer will work closely with the National organization to ensure financial policies are aligned and in place according to National rules.
4. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
Program Chair: The program chair’s responsibilities will include laying out the program’s calendar for the year, posting blogs for calendar and events, defining the topics for each meeting, and actively qualify the speakers for those meetings. Finally, the program chair will be in charge of putting together a subcommittee that will do event planning and the logistics associated with such events.
1. Handle event accounting in partnership with the Treasurer.
2. Point of contact for speakers.
3. Coordinate and plan event program. Create new events as necessary.
4. Email updates and special communications as needed to membership
5. Make sure we have equipment needed for events (projectors, screens, streaming, etc)
6. Organize monthly events with committee.
7. Help find sponsors – venues, catering, swag
8. Manage committee members to ensure Madison SMC events are being held throughout the Dane County area, well communicated to the membership, and well documented for post-event sharing.
9. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
10. Coordinate with Communications committee to share event information
Communications shall keep and maintain the minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors, business meetings and all records of membership, attendance and service to the Club, in the form and manner prescribed by the Board of Directors. The Communications chair shall also prepare and file all reports required by SMC, and generally perform such duties as are ordinarily incumbent upon a Secretary.
1. Responsible for Madison SMC public relations and serve as media point of contact
2. Weekly email updates and special communications as needed to membership
3. Coordinate with Programming committee to learn of and distribute event information
4. Actively look for and be aware of educational/speaking opportunities Madison SMC members can take a part in and post them online
5. Create communications plan for all areas of social media including, but not limited to Blog, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Youtube, Flickr, Pinterest
6. Lead chapter blog; develop editorial calendar; and assist with development of website content.
7. Post events to community calendars
8. Leverage the resources of Madison SMC
9. Identify speaking, panel, workshop opportunities for membership at conferences, seminars, businesses
10. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
Recruits new members, professional and student, as well as responds to requests to join. The membership chair will pursue paid membership status national members along with working with local campuses to find members from academia. The membership chair reviews and updates membership lists, creates packets featuring information for potential new members, and posts a blog at least once a month introducing new members.
1. Welcoming new members into the Madison SMC online community
2. Share volunteer opportunities with New Technology Chair to post to website
3. Ensuring new and existing members know about all of our resources/events where they can connect
4. Serve as a liaison with local/regional colleges. Build a presence of the Madison SMC organization.
5. Coordinate and execute two membership drives each year
6. Actively participate on various social networking sites professionally and branded Madison SMC sites
7. Serve as community representative to ensure appropriate support is given to non-profit organizations.
New Technology/Innovation Chair Responsibilities
1. Maintain website
2. Help keep social media networks updated
3. Help other members get setup on social networks if they are not.
4. Serve as the subject matter expert on new technology and how it impacts social media
5. Share new technology updates
6. Actively participate on various social networking sites
Finds businesses to donate money in order to keep meeting fees low. The sponsorship chair will actively seek business partners and recruit sponsors for food and facilities. The sponsorship chair will also create new guidelines that match nationals, seek partners or affiliates for software licenses, and post updates blogs at least once a month.
- Lead effort to find strategic ongoing and monthly sponsors – venues, catering, swag
- Create guidelines that match those of the national organizations and solicit national sponsors on behalf of the global organization.
- Post blog updates at least once a month highlighting ongoing sponsors and sponsoring opportunities
- Ensure that hi resolution logos and materials from sponsors have been received for promotion across Madison SMC properties according to sponsorship level